Monday 20 September 2010

Saatchi gallery - Newspeak: British Art Now

No visit to London is complete without seeing an exhibition, hamster wanking the iphone searching for current exhibitions but not really inspired by any of the offerings, we opted for the Saatchi Gallery. 
This was the first time we had visited the new site, and I was as keen to see the building as much as the art. The building didn't disappoint, inside it has amazing beautifully sanded wooden flooring with huge rectangular down lighting, that casts a clean, crisp natural light into each room. 
The gallery attendants did not abject to photo's being taken so I snapped a couple of the works that I found interesting.

Scott King, Pink Cher

artist unknown
I liked the manipulation of paper, they reminded me of my university self portraits.

artist unknown
Playful images, well painted.

John Wynne Untitled
300 speakers, Pianola, vacuum cleaner, audio amplifiers, hard disc recorder, speaker wire, suction hose, piano roll 

Littlewhitehead - It happened in the corner
Very spooky piece, also maybe the strongest work in the exhibition, reminiscent of the blair witch project, still is very eery looking at the photograph now. John and Christian are extra in this photo, they remained lifeless on the perimeter of the art work until a couple entered the gallery, as they approached the art work they moved and scared the shit of them.

Artist unknown
Having watched a program about recently graduated art students working toward an exhibition, I familiar with this work, and unsure if I would of taken as much interest in the piece if I hadn't known the background.

Richard Wilson 20:50
Used sump oil, steel
I have seen this piece many times and it just seems to get better. Unfortunately we were unable to enter the room completely as I have been able to do before, but that didn't seem to take any of the impact away. A truly beautiful work of art. 

Many of the pieces in this show, I just didn't seem to get, but when I see this work i remember the excitement I used to feel about art, maybe one day that felling will return?

No comments:

Post a Comment